top of page
Sonar Drain Tracing Lancashire.png

Do I need drain tracing for a build over agreement?

If you're planning to improve your home by adding an extension, conservatory, annexe or garage, you'll need to know if there's drainage on your land, and if so where it is.

If you're building within three metres of a public sewer, or within one metre of a public lateral drain, you'll need the approval of your local authority before work begins.

Your water authority will be able to provide a map of local sewers. However, this may not be up to date or accurate. It is down to you to show the exact locations of your drains.

Our experienced drain engineers use the latest equipment to carry out our sonar drain tracing. 

How does drain tracing work?

A sonde or transmitter is attached to the head of a cctv drain camera or crawler camera (in larger pipes) and placed in the drain, pipe or sewer and sent in the direction required.

The transmitter sends a sonar pulse out and the engineer follows it above ground using a receiver. The pulse signal is sent out from the sonde in a circular or arch configuration.

The drainage engineer adjusts the receiver so that he has a minimal signal. At this point, they will be directly over the top of the transmitter or sonde.

The receiver will give the exact location and equally important the depth of the drain.

bottom of page